Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Submitting to School and Library Publishers

The beginning of the year is when I revisit all of the school and library publishers and update them with my writing resume, unedited writing samples, and a list of book proposals. This takes alot of time because I need to do my homework. I browse their latest catalogs and websites so I can see if my book ideas might be a good fit for their list. You don't usually find these editors at conferences, so my annual or bi-annual submissions are my way of touching base with them. If anyone has any questions on how to solicit freelance nonfiction projects with school and library publishers I'd be happy to help you get started.

If you're a librarian or teacher that has seen a need for a particular subject for specific grades, authors are your links to publishers. Many of my ideas for book proposals are given to me by teachers and librarians. My new series, I Love My Dog, came from librarians who loved the My First Pet series and encouraged me to ask the publisher for a series of dog breeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment