Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The Blue-Eyed Mummy



Susanna Hill is hosting her 4th Annual Halloweensie Contest in which you must write a Halloween story of no more than 100 words and you must include the words creak, broomstick, and pumpkin. Sounds like a creepy enough contest for me!

Since I just recently spoke to parents at a literacy event about encouraging their children to enter writing contests, I figured I should take my own advice.

So here's my entry:

THE BLUE-EYED MUMMY
by Linda Bozzo


The boy pulled back the tattered curtain and peered out the cracked glass pane.  A cast of characters crept up the dark winding driveway. The group hesitated along the sidewalk illuminated by a narrow stream of light coming from the witch’s broomstick. A goblin tripped up the uneven steps leading to the front door. Dangling ghosts and the smell of rotted pumpkin greeted the strangers. Before they could knock, the paint-peeled door moaned and creaked open as if inviting the ghoulish guests inside. The blue-eyed mummy was the first to scream . . .
“Trick or treat!”
 
Be sure to check out the other entries on Susanna's blog and enter if you dare!
Have a safe and happy Halloween!

12 comments:

  1. I like the spooky picture you paint here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! What a wonderfully eerie Halloween setting, Linda! I can just picture the trick-or-treaters on that dark sidewalk, braving the uneven steps, only to be scared silly! Thanks so much for joining in the Halloweensie fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks and thank you for the challenge, Susanna.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rotten pumpkin smell was a great touch. I just took out the trash with a rotten pumpkin in it, and I can attest to that being a horrific odor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Lauri ^ Rotting pumpkin smells awful but so does burnt pumpkin if your candle is a bit too vigorous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sound like my neighbor's house. Every Halloween, she cackles her witchy welcome as her door creaks open for Trick-or-Treaters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the setting in this story. Way to go. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for reading and for all of your kind comments. It was a fun challenge. You guys are too funny with your smelly pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun story! That's a picture of Halloween, all right. Except we sit out on the cold, cold porch and greet the little creatures as they run up to the house for candy - if they dare. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll bet the blue-eyed mummy wasn't the last to scream Trick or Treat! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, that was downright ghoulish, Linda! (Happy Halloween!) :-)

    ReplyDelete