Saturday, November 30, 2013

Get Your Grammar Groove


 The Picture Book Academy is running a “groovy” contest in celebration of a new course they're offering called Get Your Grammar Groove with Miranda Paul!  They decided to create this fun contest to give everyone the opportunity to win great prizes while learning about good grammar. The bonus is, as quoted from their web site, "Everyone who enters is a winner, as we will have extra-special discounted Grammar Groove courses available if you give it a try!"

 You can join the contest here.
 
So everyday I'm discovering grammar errors on social media, in the newspapers, in store ads, and on signage. This morning during my run I was listening to music and it occurred to me that so many song lyrics include poor grammar. I've chosen two songs from my running playlist to highlight for today's poor grammar entries.
 
 
 
 
The song "Run to You" includes these lyrics:
 
"But that’d change if she ever found out about you and I.”
 
Correct grammar would change the lyrics to:
 
"But that’d change if she ever found out about you and me.”
 

"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"
vs
"(I Can't Get Any) Satisfaction"

I know there are dozens and dozens more. Feel free to add some of your favorite lyrics or song titles to the list. And while we're on the subject of songs here's a little rhyme I wrote to help you remember:

Don't write it wrong
The titles of songs
Are always referred to in quotes.

No comments:

Post a Comment