Monday, February 9, 2015

Valentine's Day Craft with Riddles

http://www.amazon.com/Funny-Valentines-Jokes-Tickle-Funnier/dp/1464401772/ref=sr_1_1_twi_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423487557&sr=8-1&keywords=valentine+day+jokes+to+tickle+your+funny+bone
ISBN 978-0-7660-4119-6
 

 

The History of Valentine's Day
Did you know that some people believe that Valentine's Day started with the ancient Roman feast of Lupercalia? It's true! Named after the Roman god Lupercus, the feast was celebrated from February 13 through February 15. Young girls would write their names on pieces of paper and place them in a vase. Each boy would choose a name from the vase. The girl he chose would be his partner for the festival and maybe even the year. These matches would often turn into love and sometimes even marriage.

Today, Valentine's Day is celebrated on February 14th. Here's a craft I created using funny Valentine's Day riddles from my book.

First, I traced a heart on a piece of colored paper. I used a heart decoration as my template.



I used scrapbooking paper so I could fit two hearts on one page and use the leftover for the flaps.



Then I cut out the hearts.


I typed up and printed, from my computer, various riddles from the book so the children would have a variety to choose from. FYI, there is no copyright on jokes and riddles, so no worries! I typed the question above the answer with a cutting line in between them. Then I cut the papers up so the question and answer stayed together. The cutting line will be used later when assembling the flap.




I used the scraps of colored paper leftover after cutting out the hearts and created a flap by folding the paper in half.
 


Next, I cut along that line between the question and the answer and glued the question part of the riddle to the front of the flap.
 
 
Then I glued the answer to the riddle inside the flap.

 
Next, I glued the flap to the front of the heart. 



 Finally, I wrote my message and decorated the heart with fun stickers. You can even flip it over and write another message on the back.


 There you have it, a fun(ny) Valentine's Day craft for all ages!
 
If you would like use this craft in your home or classroom I would be happy to email you the word document with the riddles. Just email me through my web site.
 
 **********

Linda Bozzo has published over 50 nonfiction books for the school and library market. For more information about Linda and her books, you can visit her website.


Copyright 2015 Linda Bozzo

1 comment: