Sunday, April 26, 2015

U = Universal


A to Z Blog Challenge: Day Twenty-one
UNIVERSAL
What is a universal theme for a book? It's basically something that be shared or understood by everyone, often based on emotions. Common universal themes for children's books include friendship, family, and loss.

But how do you use universal themes in your own writing? When I start out writing a new story I don't think about the universal theme or if it ties to curriculum. I create a story from my heart. In doing so I trust that a universal theme will emerge. I recently started working on a new picture book idea. My first draft didn't have a clear theme. As I revised my story, a universal theme was quick to show itself and I was able to start to take the story in a more focused direction. As the creative process continues I make sure that my story stays true and focused to this universal theme.

For information on universal themes, you can check out:
101 Common Book Themes and Common Themes in Children's Literature



**************
 
Linda Bozzo has published more than 50 nonfiction books for the school and library market. For more information about Linda and her books, you can visit her website.



No comments:

Post a Comment