Sunday, April 26, 2015

V = Volunteer


A to Z Blog Challenge: Day Twenty-two


VOLUNTEER


I'd like to use the letter "V" to remind people to volunteer. I used to volunteer a lot when my daughters were in school. I choreographed plays, created costumes, chaperoned trips, and whatever else I was able to do to help. Book fairs were the best, except that time I agreed to dress in that Clifford costume!


Cub Scouts
When my children were no longer in school, I have to admit, it was a bit of relief not to have so many commitments. But I also felt a void. I realized that with grown children I had more time to commit to my writing career so I wanted to commit some of that time to volunteering as an author. I like to encourage others to do the same.

Some ways you can volunteer as an author is to offer to do free Skype visits. When a librarian took extra time to write a letter to my publisher to tell them how much they enjoyed using my joke books in her school and how much they enjoyed the books, I decided to give back with a free Skype visit.

Gigi's


Career Day
 Consider doing free author visits for children who might not otherwise experience meeting an author.  For me that meant visiting a children's hospital. Check your local newspaper and calendar of events for organizations in your community that might benefit from your services. That's how I discovered Gigi's and was able to arrange a special author 
Children's Hospital

visit with a holiday-themed craft. Consider a volunteering for a Career Day or a scouting event. These are just a few ways authors can give back.






**************
 

Linda Bozzo has published more than 50 nonfiction books for the school and library market. For more information about Linda and her books, you can visit her website.

No comments:

Post a Comment